Thursday, April 27:
• Thirsty Thursdays happens every Thursday at City Lights Café in Sylva - $3.25 Local Tap Beers, $3 Bottles, $4 Wines by the Glass, $5.95 for Local Flights - 5, 6 ounce pours. For more information, please call 838-587-2233.
• The Write Ones, an Adult Creative Writing Group, will meet at the Jackson County Public Library from 6-7 p.m.
• Listen & sing along with guitar and sometimes mandolin while enjoying a pint or flight and a potluck! Grab your favorite gnomie, a dish to share and join us every Thursday between 6-8 p.m. at Heinzelmannchen Brewery, 545 Mill Street in Sylva.
• The Western Carolina University Choir is hosting a concert in the Coulter Recital Hall at 7:30 p.m.
• Tyler Kittle and Michael Collings are some of the most talented Jazz musicians around and we are lucky enough to have them right here in Sylva. Come experience the Kittle/Collings duo every Thursday from 8 – 11 p.m. at Innovation Brewery.
• Mad Batter Food and Film is providing a free showing of the movie “20th Century Women” This movie is rated R, which may not be suitable for all ages. For more information, call 828-586-3555.
Friday, April 28:
• Come out for the Special Olympics - Spring Games! The event begins at 9:30 a.m. and will be held at the Smoky Mountain High School track.
• The Catamount Track and Field team will compete from 5 a.m. until 11 p.m. at the Soccer and Track Field on Western Carolina University’s campus. For more information, visit www. catamountsports.com.
• The Controlled Chaos Film Festival is a screening of select films produced in the Film and Television Production program at Western Carolina. The purpose of the festival is to celebrate Western Carolina’s most gifted filmmakers and to raise money to help sustain future student projects. This year’s festival will take place on Friday, April 28 at 7:30 p.m. in the Bardo Arts Center; the entrance fee is $12 (cash and credit will be accepted at the box office). For more information, contact the Bardo Arts Center at 828-2272479.
• Please join School of Music faculty member Ian Jeffress in a celebration of 10 years directing the WCU saxophone
studio. The concert will feature Dr. Jeffress performing alongside student saxophonists in a program of duos and quartets, and directing the WCU Saxophone Ensemble. The concert begins at 7:30 p.m. in Coulter Recital Hall. It is free and open to the public.
• Mad Batter Food and Film presents a free showing of “La La Land” at 6:30 p.m. and then again at 8:30 p.m. It will also play on Saturday, April 29 at 7:30 p.m. This movie is rated PG-13. For more information, call 828-586-3555.
Saturday, April 29:
• ARTRAGEOUS: An Interactive Art & Music Experience will take place in the Green Room of the performance hall at the Bardo Arts Center. From the moment you enter the theatre lobby, the experience begins! In the theatre performance giant artworks jump to life with amazing speed unveiling larger than life art in just moments. You will enjoy a continued interaction with the performers as they leave the theatre. Tickets are $20 for faculty and students. For more information, contact the Bardo Arts Center at 828-227-2479.
• The Annual Tour de Cashiers Mountain Cycling Experience will be held between 5 and 10 p.m. For more information, please visit www. TourdeCashiers.com.
Sunday, April 30:
• The Civic Orchestra will be hosting a free concert in the Coulter Recital Hall between 4 and 6 p.m.
Tuesday, May 2:
• The Mountain Wind ensemble will be hosting a concert in the Bardo Arts Center at Western Carolina University. It will begin at 7:30 p.m. For more information, contact the box office at 828-227-2479.
• Mad Batter Food and Film will have free showings of “Paint and Pour” at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. All ages can enjoy this film. For more information, call 828-5863555.
Wednesday, May 3:
• Innovation Brewing hosts an open mic night every Wednesday from 8-10 p.m. Come express your creativity through music, comedy, poetry or anything you desire! For more information, call Innovation Brewing at 828-586-9678.
Thursday, May 4:
• The Jackson County Library will be holding a family fun night. This will include games, movies and more. It begins at 6 p.m. For more information, call 828-5862016.
• Learn how to meditate at the Meditation Center in Sylva. The Meditation Center is located at 894 East Main St. For more information, call 828356-1105. There is a $10 entry fee.
Friday, May 5:
• All graduates and upcoming graduates: The WCU Bookstore is hosting a class ring event from 1 to 5 p.m. This event will continue Saturday. For more information, contact the bookstore at 828-2277346.
• Today is the last day to see “Soft Diplomacy: Quilting Cultural Diplomacy in Liberia” on exhibit in the Fine Arts Museum of the Bardo Arts Center. Quilting is a method of responsive expression of Liberian women’s identities and reactions on nationhood. Soft Diplomacy examines the ways that Liberian women participate in nation-building and facilitate cultural diplomacy across the Atlantic. The Fine Arts Museum is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. and Thursday from 10 a.m.-7 p.m. For more information, call the museum at 828227-3591.
• The Bridge Park is hosting a family campout that will continue into May 6. Set up is at 5 p.m. Various festivities, including a movie and
popcorn, fire pit fun, face painting, outdoor crafts and campfire singing, will begin at 6 p.m.
Saturday, May 6:
• Come cheer on Catamount Baseball as they play against Wofford at the Hennon Stadium at 6 p.m. For more information, visit www.catamountsports.com.
• The Western Carolina Bookstore will be hosting a Graduation Sale from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. The sale will feature 10 percent off of Alumni Merchandise and $5 off Diploma Frames. Neither of these discounts can be combined with other discounts/ coupons. This sale will continue into Sunday.
• Congratulations to the Class of 2017! Undergraduate and Honors College Candidates in the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Education and Allied Professions and, College of Fine and Performing Arts will line up at 9 a.m. for the ceremony at 10 a.m. in the Ramsey Center. Undergraduate and Honors College Candidates in the College of Business, College of Engineering and Technology, and College of Health and Human Sciences will line up at 1 p.m. for the ceremony at 2 p.m. in the Ramsey Center. For more information, call 828-227-7216.